Current job openings at The Spanish-American Center, Inc.
SPANISH AMERICAN CENTER, INC.
The mission of the Spanish American Center is to respond to the social, health, educational and cultural needs of the Leominster community with a special focus on the Latino community limited by language, poverty and cultural barriers. The Center fosters economic self-sufficiency, equal opportunity, active participation in community and a better quality of life.
JOB TITLE: Promotora De Salud
RESPONSIBLE TO: Executive Director
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Promotora de Salud will be responsible for working in conjunction with health care providers, nutrition focused professionals, Growing Places, HEAL Winchendon stakeholders and community residents to serve as an educator, advocate and liaison between these services and community members in Gardner and Winchendon.
1. Plan and conduct outreach and marketing to targeted communities.
2. Provide peer health education support and advocacy to Latino families within the designated areas.
3. Complete appropriate training programs as part of orientation to the position.
4. Provide leadership, in partnership with Growing Places, in “root cause analysis” related to food insecurity with residents of Gardner and Winchendon
5. Make referrals to family support, health, and social service agencies in area, and follow-up with individuals to ensure they receive needed services.
6. Assist Growing Places with nutrition services that are culturally familiar to the Hispanic/Latinx and other BIPOC individuals in the area.
7. Reduce stigma and other barriers to initiating or continuing health care by providing good information to both community members and health care providers.
Develop relationships with local health care and social service providers to facilitate information sharing and service provision.
8. Represent organization in meetings with community partners.
9. Participate in CHNA9 and HEAL Winchendon Committee.
10. Attend conferences as directed and/or required.
11. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Lived experience as a community member of Gardner and/or Winchendon, MA
2. Deep understanding of the needs of diverse individuals with a special focus on the Hispanic/Latinx population
3. Ability to communicate easily with others, including demonstrating active listening skills
4. Ability to maintain confidentiality
5. Ability to take initiative
6. Information technology (IT) skills, including use of laptops, smartphones, internet/online application systems, Microsoft Office, etc.
7. Commitment to public health, healthy eating/culturally relevant foods, and the value of the local food system
8. Ability to work independently and as part of a team
9. Displays empathy, respect, and understanding of community values and members
10. Ability to read, write, and speak the language of the target population.
11. Knowledge of or experience with case management, preferred, but not required.
12. Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and insurance required
THIS IS A PART-TIME POSITION
To apply for any of the above job opportunities, please submit your Cover letter, Resume, and the names and contact information for two (2) professional employment references via e-mail through the email address/application button below. Please specify which position in which you are interested in your SUBJECT Line on your submission. ALL SAC Employees must be able to pass CORI screening.